World War II and Nevada
The Silver State's Contribution to Victory
448 Pages, 6 x 9 in
- Published: May 28, 2024
World War II and Nevada takes a comprehensive look at the Silver State’s role in the war effort, including the effects of rationing and other contributions made by its people; the military’s use of the state’s land, skies, and waters; and the shift of economic power from northern to southern Nevada. Author Charles Weller also explores subjects such as the Japanese balloon bombs, fears of sabotage, race relations, and Nevada’s navy. The book includes the most complete listing of the state’s dead, wounded, and prisoners of war.
Readers will learn about:
- The state’s mineral resources, particularly magnesium, that were key to victory.
- The role of women and minoritized groups in Nevada’s contribution to the war efforts.
- The impact of an increased military presence on the role of marriage, divorce, prostitution, and gambling in the state’s economic and social fabric.
- The thousands of California’s Japanese residents who fled to Nevada to avoid internment.
- The state’s eleven military bases and bombing ranges that used 10,000 square miles of the state’s vast lands and skies to ready the world’s most lethal weapons for use in the war.
- The 1,100 people with Nevada connections who were killed, wounded, or made prisoners of war during the conflict.
World War II and Nevada includes 25 photographs.
“Nevda During World War is a one-of-a-kind tome that covers the war from lend-lease to the bombing of Japanese cities through the eyes of the citizens of Nevada. It is a unique look at WWII that is valuable and adds greatly to the knowledge of the era. Weller has made a significant contribution to the history of Nevada.”
—Claytee White, inaugural director of the Oral History Research Center for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
“This is the only book that takes such a broad-based view of Nevada during World War II. Weller writes authoritatively on the subject and does an excellent job of utilizing primary and secondary sources. With Nevada During World War II: The Local Response to Global Conflict, the author adds to and enhances the academic works and oral histories on the topic.”
—Guy Clifton, 2022 Distinguished Nevada, author of Dempsey in Nevada and You Know You're a Nevadan, if...